In Spain, it is estimated that only 20% of the natural gas powered fleet is originally manufactured to operate on this propulsion system, while the remaining 80% is made up of aftermarket conversions.
The report sees a huge potential for the development of this technology in the Spanish market, as there are now 20 brands and 64 models already equipped with this propulsion system.
The price of compressed natural gas for vehicles in Spain is 41% lower than diesel and 50% than gasoline.
One conclusion of the study is that as natural gas refueling networks are reaching higher coverage, this technology is gaining more presence in different markets.
The current global NGV fleet consists of about 18 million vehicles, and has been growing by 20-25% annually over the last 10 years. At present, 60% of them are concentrated in Central Asia and the Asia-Pacific region, whereas just over 10% of them are running across Europe. The 75% of the worldwide NGV fleet is concentrated in 6 countries: Iran, Pakistan, China, India, Argentina and Brazil. It is expected that 50-65 million natural gas vehicles will be in operation by 2020.