ROUGEOT Energie, operating as general contractor EPC on behalf of Dijon Métropole Smart EnergHy (DMSE), has selected McPhy’s hydrogen production, compression and distribution solution to supply the metropolitan fleet of heavy (buses, garbage trucks) and light (utility and passenger cars) vehicles. With a contract of more than €4 million, McPhy will design, build and integrate two refueling stations with a capacity of 400 kg of hydrogen per day each, connected to a 1 MW high-power electrolyzer.
“The project supported by DMSE contributes to the democratization of hydrogen as a zero-emission alternative for public, professional or private transport. Our stations will make it possible to supply all the hydrogen mobility in the region: buses, garbage trucks, utility and private vehicles. Buses, for example, will be able to refuel with hydrogen produced on site, from household waste or local renewable energies, and travel more than 300 km without emitting any CO2 or polluting particles. More than ever, we are convinced that hydrogen has a decisive role to play in the fight against air pollution and climate change,” said Laurent Carme, CEO of McPhy.
The project company DMSE was created by Dijon Métropole in collaboration with ROUGEOT Energie, to deploy a complete zero-emission hydrogen ecosystem. The first step of the plan is to implement, in the north of Dijon, a McPhy hydrogen solution composed of two hydrogen stations, coupled with on-site hydrogen production. The “Dijon Nord” project has received support and co-financing from the French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME).
Four distribution terminals for both heavy and light vehicles will thus be available to supply the zero-emission vehicles of the collectivity and its partners. This fleet of hydrogen vehicles will initially be made up of 27 buses, nine garbage trucks and around 15 light vehicles. The project is expected to reach a total of 200 buses, 50 garbage trucks and 250 light vehicles by 2030.
This project stands out for the positive energy loop it will create in the heart of the Dijon metropolitan area. The electrolyzer connected to produce hydrogen on site will be powered 90% by electricity from a household waste incinerator and the remaining 10% will come from locally produced renewable energies. Consequently, the “Dijon Nord” project will enable the recovery of so-called “fatal” electricity, which would have been lost if it had not been used to power this ecosystem, and avoid nearly 2,500 tons of CO2 emissions per year.
The two McPhy’s McFilling hydrogen stations, one offering a filling pressure of 350 bar and the other offering a “Dual Pressure” configuration (350 and 700 bar), will ensure, thanks to a very high availability rate and a total daily potential of 800 kg of hydrogen delivered, the continuity of public services and the refueling of professional and private vehicles in the area. Indeed, the solution proposed by McPhy offers a fast refueling time, around a few minutes, and the possibility of simultaneous refueling, thanks to the redundancy of the equipment, which boosts the capacity of the stations in case of peak consumption.
Interfaced with the hydrogen stations, the McLyzer electrolyzer will have a production capacity equivalent to 1 MW of high-power electrolysis and will be equipped with high current density electrodes, ensuring optimal performance and energy efficiency to complete this hydrogen production and distribution ecosystem.