Combining a clean source of energy with fully automatic Allison transmissions has proven to be the perfect combination for Transnugon. The Spanish transport company’s Scania LNG trucks with Allison Automatics save about 7% more fuel than fleet vehicles with automated manual transmissions (AMTs).
“We can confirm that the Allison gearbox affords very significant fuel savings on low-speed routes with frequent stops, which are typical of urban and interurban transport,” said Pablo Bordils, Transnugon director. “If we add this 7% savings to the 10% reduction in fuel consumption associated with the use of LNG, we are talking about a total reduction of 17% in comparison to diesel vehicles with an AMT in short routes.”
Two and a half years ago, coinciding with an increase in fuel prices, Transnugon began testing a number of LNG vehicles. Today, 25% of Transnugon’s 225-vehicle fleet, consisting of tractor-trailers and rigid trucks with an average age of less than two years, is powered by LNG. In support of this growth, the company built its own LNG refueling station at its facility in Valencia.
“At the time, we felt that, in addition to cost-effectiveness, the change to LNG provided an opportunity for growth through differentiation, without increasing costs for our clients,” said Bordils.
Source: Allison Transmission